Linda Rae Bush

Tell us your name, what you like to be called and a little bit about yourself.


My name is Linda Rae Bush.  That is my maiden name.  I live in Cedar City.  I do professional office work. I have five grown children who are successful and stable, very talented.  I am very interested in politics and becoming involved with my community. 


Do you generally go by Linda or Linda Rae?
Usually Linda Rae.


How long have you lived in Cedar City?


I have lived consistently here for the last three and a half years.  It's been off and on before that. I'm from  Washington, and I came to Utah in the early 1990's, so I've been in St. George, Ivins, and Cedar. 


Why do you want to run for Mayor?


Well, being a single mom, and being involved with the community, other than politics for quite a while and just associating with other people, I've just come to the conclusion that there's a few changes that I would like to see happen, and with some of my friends.  The only way to do that without just complaining about it all the time is to do something about it,  and just do something a little bit more.  So I thought to go back into politics would be just the thing to do.  I ran for mayor in Kanarraville in '05.  I had full intentions of following through with that.  I didn't win the election, so I went ahead and committed myself to go back into public safety work.  I moved to Snow Canyon, Ivins, and then I decided to come back to Cedar City.  But, I think that politics is the only way.  I mean I've looked at politics,  getting civically involved with the community, it's the only way to really make changes, and to really see things happen in a good way.


Who are three people that you really admire?


Alright, one person who is still in the state of Washington right now, had such an effect on my life, is Wayne Gardner.  He and his organization made it possible for me to function in a productive way after my divorce.  Their organizations are so actualized, and just make a person into the person that they want to become, and I have become involved in that.  Another person, here locally that I admire so much, she is just fantastic, I don't know what words to use, her name is Greta Esplin.  She has made a real difference in our family, and I really do appreciate her.  Probably the third person, trying to think if they would like me to use their name, but it's a person that I worked with, with the Division of Family Services.  His name is John Sauceda,  and he is a very actualized individual, and knows people.  I've really learned a lot from him. 


What do you think are the biggest issues in our community right now?


Number one, I think that there's not enough of recycling or rotating of ideas in our community.  I think that we need to get more people's opinion.  Just go out there, if we have to door-to-door, and make contact with people and just find out about people.  There are some things in the community that nobody really wants to talk about, but they will talk about it to a friend, or to an associate, someone that they think is really listening to them.  I've had a lot of people tell me some things, that I probably shouldn't repeat right here, that could be put into the community as  creative ideas.   One would be the importance of keeping our reputation in Cedar City up, as far as recognizing that we have a lot of problems with abuse, and neglect of families.  We have problems that need to be [addressed] , even if you want to say this, we could make more meetings and creative workshops for people.  Bring in people,  and talk it up so that people will actually attend those meetings, with a minimun charge.  So many people that really can't afford, to go out and pay $20 - $25 a ticket for something that is going help them.  And I think we need to cut costs a bit and help each other in the community just a little bit more, as far as teaching people how to be functional . 


When you think of Cedar City 5 or 10 years from now, what do you see?


More trees.  I'd like to be able to see a little bit less neglect of property.  Better property management in some areas.  I'd like to see the stoplights retimed so that everybody gets an equal chance at the roads.  Sometimes you'll sit there for 20 minutes at one stop light, that might be an exaggeration, but I would like to see more public places where people can go.  There's only like three or four parks in this city.  I'd like to see more of those for people  and more recreational sports.  I'd like to see the Aquatic Center finished in a magnificent way, so everyone can use it without charging a really, really high price, because I think we have enough excess of taxes, we can afford to lower the prices on some things, but that Aquatic Center and its functions.  I think that every child should have sports and activities readily available to them.  I don't know what caused this, but on the east side of town, you can join a baseball team when you are seven or eight, but on the west side of town, they have kids that have to wait until they're nine years old, and I don't understand that quite, but I think every child, if they'd be more involved in sports, they'd be functioning better in school.  More arts for the kids,  more things within their grade level.  All of this without charging a whole lot.  And the other thing I'd like to see is someone getting some real ideas.  I've been studying some mayors, real famous mayors around the country, and how they are trying to bring economic growth into their cities.  There's some good ideas there. 


What would you do as mayor to see that we get more trees and parks and activities for the kids and things like that?


I think I would mainly just try word of mouth.  I know that some people just won't listen anyway, however, just by word of mouth, and getting some PR work done, maybe the people could support this.  If each tax paying family, and we pay taxes whether we're buying a home or renting, there's always a tax involved,  if each family would donate even $20 toward an activity or a project, that project would pretty much be handled.  Twenty dollars a month per family might build us another park.  We waste that much money each month.  Just to donate that toward that fund, if people see that it's an open account, they can see how much money they have actually put into it, and let them help make those decisions.  You can't have a vote on everything, because that's not economically sound, but I think if people really, really want to see things done, they'll show up to a meeting or something to have their say.  I don't think people here, really, really know that there's someone there to listen to them, and understand what they're going through.  There's too much red tape.  I think people want to be heard, but they don't want to go because it's just something else to listen to.  I just think mouth to mouth, person to person, if people would actually get someone that's willing to listen and be free to express themselves. And that's what I can do. I am a good listener.  I've got e-mail, and a website that I'm developing that they can go into and just express themselves.  Everybody deserves to be heard.   I think if we work together as a city, in that financial end of it, they won't get that their taxes are going to go to something that they don't know about. 


If a conflict of interest were to arise between city interests and your own personal or business interests, how would you handle it?


I think the first thing to do is meet with the people that are involved, go right to the horses mouth with it,  and be able to communicate.  Too much has been said and done behind other people's backs, and I think if a person has their say, say 'Oh, I'm sorry if I offended you, let's talk this out.  Let's find out what each one of us did.' You know, just communicate. You don't get anyplace by going behind someone's back and doing something.  If a conflict of interest comes up, you've got to talk about it.  I don't mean like the meeting in St. George a couple weeks ago, that was almost not even necessary, because noone listened, noone heard, and noone cared.  You've got to care.  You've got to really care.




What do you see as your top priorities if you are elected?


I think the immediate thing, I would like to see people get together because we're paying taxes on it right now, but I would like to see that Aquatic Center finished.  If they did that it would be a major, major boost to the self-esteem of the community.  Just like the Shakespearean Festival or whatever, that's quite a thing to have here, a very important part of the community.  But we need something for the overall citizens, something for everybody.   I think the first main project I would do is  to try and get that handled, get that started and finished.  


What is the best way for people to learn more about you?


I'm always out there. Me and my family are always out in the community.  We're always talking to people.  I think the best way right now is to  go to my e-mail address, and they can leave me a message there, and I'll get back to them and try to open up a line of communication.  If I'm elected, they can always come right into the office and talk, and get acquainted that way.  I don't invite people readily into my home, but there are certainly ways to meet with them and be one on one.   There's always a way to do that. I think if they e-mail me first,  and talked to me that we could arrange to meet somewhere. 
The e-mail  address is (it's French it just means caring and concern)
it's devoir68@yahoo.com


Why should a person vote for you?


Well number one, my motto is, and what we're going to use on my signs, it's going to be, "One more giant step for womankind."  I'm all for the women in the community.  I'm all for the women and their children.  I think that women need more of a say in things. 


What's your favorite dessert?


Oh my!  Fresh peaches with Häagen Dazs ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment