Email Interview: Craig Corry

How long have you lived in Cedar City?


I have lived in Cedar City nearly 25 years, or my entire life other than 2 years living in Canada serving a LDS mission, and plan to stay and raise my family here.

Why do you want to be a part of the City Council?

Living in Cedar my whole life I have learned to love our city.  There are many great qualities about how our city is operated and I want to preserve them.  There are also a few areas I believe need a change.  I would like to be a part of the continued growth of Cedar and assist in the areas that I believe need help.  I also have ever growing desire to be involved in politics and to add to conservative views in our local, state, and national governments.

What do you think are the biggest issues in our community right now?

The biggest issue I see in our community is likely what everyone else is seeing at this time, the economy.  We are better off than much of our country but people here are still seeing hard times.  It is great that we have a chamber of commerce that is striving to support our existing businesses and keep them afloat, and I very much hope they succeed.  I am a strong believer that if a community is not progressing they are regressing.  Cedar City is full of many resources that large companies look for when bringing in outside jobs but I have seen instances that in the effort to keep Cedar a "hometown community" our leaders may have hurt us by not encouraging expansion.  I will focus on bringing in outside jobs as well as supporting start ups and small business.

When you think of Cedar City 5 or 10 years from now, what do you want to see?

In 5 to 10 years from now I would like to see Cedar City continuing to attract tourist with our natural resources as well as our great festivals.  As our housing market levels out I would like to see a steady sustainable growth in property values and new homes.  I would also like to see a local school district that provides a choice of education for parents and students.
Better

What do you see as your top priorities if you are elected?

I have mentioned some of my top priorities earlier but once again I will focus on business expansion through the effort of attracting outside corporations as well as supporting local businesses and the start up of others to increase competition and drive up efficiency.  I will also work with local school leaders to help provide more education choices to our community.  I believe in limited government that is fiscally conservative, allows private business to handle all possible projects, and keep taxes low for our citizens.

Share your thoughts about the following:

CATS -

I like the idea of the CATS program; it is a great resource for many of our citizens. I am curious to see the costs and revenues related to this program.

The New Aquatic Center -

I really like the new Aquatic Center and think it is an important attraction to bring new growth and population to Cedar City.  I thought it was worth the small increase in taxes to provide our community with a recreational facility.  Although I am a bit concerned if the revenues will cover the operation costs or if it will be an ongoing cost to the city.

Jobs -

As the recession ends I see Cedar's job market to be adequate but would like to see it thrive.  We are very much supported by lower to middle class jobs and I would like to see more technical and higher education driven jobs come to town.

Parks and Recreation -

Lately I have become impressed with the parks and recreation.  It looks like they are taking pride in the facilities and upgrading those that are in need.

Infrastructure -

Cedar City's infrastructure is very well maintained.  As I travel, I am impressed by the quality of Cedar's roads.  We are located in a prime spot for transportation.  Along I-15 and with an airport and rail system we have many options.  I would like to see if the demand would support a larger airport.

Festivals or other activities -

The Festivals seem to continually increase our citizens sense of pride and I would like to see them continue as part of our focus and reach to bring in tourism.

Why should a person vote for you?

A person should vote for me because I bring a fresh prospective to the city.  As a recent graduate in Finance I am still fairly up to date on the changes that work in our world today and understand what makes an organization thrive, much of that is the operation of finances.  Although I have views of my own on how things should operate I know that I represent the citizens of our community and will listen to and push for the desires of the people rather than my own personal agenda.

What is the best way for people to learn more about you?

If you would like to learn more about me I would enjoy conversing with you over a phone call or in person. 1.435.592.0190 You can also reach me by email ccorry23@msn.com

and What's your favorite dessert?

My favorite dessert is Peach Delight.

No comments:

Post a Comment